he Technological Development Unit (UDT) of the Universidad de Concepción invites students from doctoral programs in Chile and abroad for a research stay for six months or more in its facilities. UDT is an R&D+i Center specialized in developing new products and processes from lignocellulosic raw materials. It has a staff of 120 people, including scientists, professionals and technicians, with an excellent infrastructure of process scaling and access to first-rate laboratories, either their own or from other university departments.Topics of interest are preferably the following:Bioenergy Department
- Thermochemical conversion of biomass, preferably through fast or slow pyrolysis;
- Torrefaction of forest biomass;
- Small-scale cogeneration technologies;
- Hydrodeoxygenation of lignocellulosic compounds;
- Other thermochemical conversion processes.
- Plastic biomaterials based on starch, polylactic acid or cellulose acetate;
- Plastic materials with oxygen barrier or antifungal surface;
- Application of wood polysaccharides or algae in thermoplastic resins;
- Bioplastics for packaging and agriculture;
- Other innovations related to bioplastics and functional plastics.
- Production and characterization of biochar and other carbonaceous (nano)materials.
Chemical Products Department
- Extraction, purification and use of polyphenolic bark extracts.
- Delignification processes of wood and annual plants with organic solvents.
- Processing and use of lignin.
- Obtaining, characterization and use of wood accessory compounds and agents with biological activity from plant matrices.
- Forest biorefineries.
- Development of analytical methodologies related to forest biomass or products from their chemical or thermochemical conversion.
- New uses of waste from the forest industry, including biomass combustion.
- Bioremediation of soil and the atmosphere.
- Thermochemical conversion of waste plastics.
- Cycle study and water consumption reduction in the pulp industry.
- Thermal efficiency of industrial processes.
- Other issues related to forest biorefineries and the forest-industrial industry.
We offer the possibility to use our laboratories and excellent demonstrative production and process scaling pilot plants; work in a pleasant, stimulating and challenging environment; have options of multidisciplinary collaboration with students and academicians of the Universidad de Concepcion; and be part of domestic and foreign networks. Moreover, we provide you with financing of up to US$10,000 for traveling expenses, accommodation and the development of your research.